Accessibility Statement for Matlock Bath Parish Council January 2021
This website is run by Matlock Bath Parish Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website.
We have installed accessibility tools on the website which enable the visitor to:
- change colours including grayscale, adjust contrast levels and fonts and background
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using installed screenreader software
In addition to this the user is able to:
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver
- find information contained in difficult to navigate tables within a text block or other accessible format on the same page.
- Use Chrome browser extensions such as Caret Browsing, Screen Shader and Text Help PDF Reader to access most content on this website.
- Speech recognition software, eg. VoiceOver, Voice Assistant
- Use reading software such as Read and Write & ClaraRead
- Use speech recognition such as Dragon
- Use Screen magnification such as Zoom Magnification & Supernova
AbilityNet also has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible is this website?
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- some older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- some of our online forms may be difficult to navigate using just a keyboard
- you cannot skip to the main content when using a screen reader
If you cannot access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille, please email the Parish Clerk or call 07914 420545.
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 10 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please contact the Parish Clerk giving the page title and the nature of the problem.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Matlock Bath Parish Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons:
- Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
- Some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content).
Interactive tools and transactions
- Some of our interactive forms are difficult to navigate using a keyboard. For example, because some form controls are missing a ‘label’ tag.
- Our forms are built and hosted through third party software and ‘skinned’ to look like our website. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.3.1 (information and relationships).
- We’ve assessed the cost of fixing the issues with navigation and accessing information, and with interactive tools and transactions. We believe that doing so now would be a disproportionate burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations. We will make another assessment when the supplier contract is up for renewal.
- Content that is not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and Other Documents
- Some of our older PDF documents do not meet accessibility standards – for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
- Some of our PDFs are essential to providing our services. For example, we have PDFs with information on how users can access our services, if you are unable to access the information contained in these documents please contact the Parish Clerk.
There is no requirement for the portion of our website WW1 Remembered to be compliant as this is an archive site and is not updated.
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.Any new PDFs we publish will meet required accessibility standards.
We do not plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations.
How we tested this website
This website was last tested on 20th December 2020. The test was carried out by ourselves. We used this approach to decide on a sample of pages to test with static content, links and pictures.
our main website platform, available at www.matlockbathparishcouncil.gov.uk
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
This statement was prepared on 20th December 2020 on our new website which was upgraded in December 2020.