Nature Reserve Work Programme 2021
If you are interested in helping develop this fabulous asset, why not offer to help. There are many opportunities. We don’t just need volunteers to clear brambles. The trees need identifying, the flowers also need to be properly identified and mapped. The birdsong is incredible, especially after the rain. We hear the woodpeckers but do not see them. Could you tell us which birds are here and when? Could you chart the footpaths and produce a detailed map of the reserve? Are you interested in dry stone walling? The list is endless. Why not contact us with any suggestions you think would be useful? Why not join the Environment and Conservation Committee or be a volunteer on the Nature Reserve and have your input there. The more we do to enhance the reserve, the more likely it is that we will qualify for funding. It’s a village resource so please help to make it as good as possible for now and for the future.
Tasks on this year’s work list include:
- Clear, rake and pile undergrowth from three separate areas of the reserve
- Fill new path frame with roadstone and compress.
- Move all cut logs from around cleared areas to bottom track
- Move all stone from the side of the bottom track to a single storage point
- Remove ivy from the lower two metres of all established trees in the reserve
- Remove all self set ash saplings from the reserve
- Repair the dry stone wall on the side of the Wapping path taken down for stone transportation
- Continue clearing and keeping the area tidy and safe for use by members of the public
DerwentWise very kindly came and cleared lots of brambles from the Reserve in November free of charge.
January 2021 saw Derbyshire Wildlife clear parts of the Nature Reserve together with Clifton Steps.
All volunteer work is now suspended during the Coronavirus 19 outbreak.
If you are interested in being involved in the Nature Reserve or just wish to find out more, please contact the Parish Clerk.